News: R.I.P. Keyboardist Geoff Nicholls, dead at 68

I don't recall when I first realized that I was a metal head but do recall the first album I ever purchased. It was Black Sabbath's live album, LIVE EVIL. The history of the band was unknown to me at the time and I didn't know Ozzy Osbourne and Ronnie James Dio were two singers in the band (with a history of animosity between them). All I knew after hearing the songs IRON MAN and HEAVEN AND HELL was that I wanted to listen to more of that, whatever that was. It wasn't long after that I had amassed the entire Black Sabbath catalog and was learning all I could about the members of the band and the line up changes that plagued the band for decades.

There was one band member that I didn't hear much about, keyboardist Geoff Nicholls. Geoff joined the band for the album HEAVEN AND HELL and played with them for many years afterwards. While not an official member of the band until 1986, a status that came and went depending on who was back in the band recording and touring, he was a solid contributor to their pioneering heavy metal sound. I had the pleasure of seeing Geoff in concert a couple of time. Once during the DEHUMANIZER tour and again at Ozzfest. Thank you for all the wonderful music.

R.I.P. Geoff Nicholls.


No comments:

Post a Comment