Full Moon Presents Delirium Magazine Issue 1


I've long been a fan of Charles Band, the films he's created and the ones he has distributed, even before I knew his name. My friends and I bought tickets to see THE DUNGEONMASTER in the theatre. I rented many Wizard Video big box VHS releases back in the glory days of tape. CASTLE FREAK was part of my laser disc collection. A couple of PUPPET MASTER action figures sit atop a bookshelf. I marveled at the 3D while watching THE CREEPS as part of Band's nationwide road show tour.

When I learned that Full Moon was publishing a magazine I had to pick it up.

The full colour first issue features a tribute to Stuart Gordon's RE-ANIMATOR. There are interviews with the director, actress Barbara Crampton and composer Richard Band. The magazine's centerfold is the Japanese poster art for the film.

Stuart Gordon has his own column and part one of a promised seven articles is included (issue 4 & 5 do not include Gordon's column and no explanation is given as to its absence). Gordon relates how the sci-fi super hero play WARP! came about and the struggles he and co-author Lenny Kleinfeld faced realizing their dream.

The remainder of the issue is fleshed out with an interview with NURSE 3D director Douglas Aarniokoski, plugs for Wizard studio's latest releases VIRGINIA OBSCURA, VILLANELLE and VAMPIE, more plugs for Full Moon products ranging from the films KILLER EYE and THE VELVET VAMPIRE to action figures, and a nicely done retrospective of TOURIST TRAP. Make no mistake about it, the magazine plugs Charles Band's Full Moon and all its offshoots, from PUPPET MASTER models to the streaming service (which I have yet to try).

Chris Alexander of Fangoria fame edits and contributes six (!) of the articles. Counting the number of his articles in issue five, three with his by-line, he at least appears to be letting other horror aficionados get a few words in later in the magazine run. Those familiar with Fangoria's relaunch of Gorezone magazine, also edited by the busy Alexander, will have a feel for Delirium as I found them to be similar. Both magazines are the same size, the paper feels the same, and are jammed packed with photos and poster images. Sadly, Delirium does not label or caption many of the photos.

I can overlook the plug machine that Delirium is and I wish with a cover price of $10 there were a few more pages, but overall its a great magazine that mixes nostalgia for the films I grew up on with the new exploitation and horror films.

The magazine can be purchased from the web site, www.deliriummagazine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment